Friday, May 30, 2008

Blew out my Flip Flop, and Other Love Songs

Music is very important to me. A song can remind me of a person, a place, or a feeling. I think I have a song that goes along with just about everyone that is close to me.

There are defiantly songs that remind me of Big D. There are songs that we also share together, our wedding songs, songs we listened to when we were dating, and songs that remind us of the kids.

One song that we share is Jimmy Buffet’s Margaritaville. Not that Big D and I are frequently wasted on Margaritas; the song reminds us of our alone time we spent in Florida. Whenever we hear the line, “I blew out my flip flop, stepped on a pop top.” We look at each other and smile. I know, a little nerdy but still sweet.

For the past couple of days I have heard a song by Toby Keith that screams BigD, and one of the many reasons I adore him. Want to read it? Here it goes…

Love Me If You Can - Toby Keith

Sometimes think that war is necessary
Every night I pray for peace on earth
I hand out my dollars to the homeless
But believe that every able soul should work

My father gave me my shotgun
That I’ll hand down, to my son
Try to teach him everything it means

I’m a man of my convictions
Call me wrong, call me right
But I bring my better angels to every fight
You may not like where I’m going
But you sure know where I stand
Hate me if you want to, love me if you can


I stand by my right to speak freely
But I worry about what kids learn from TV


And before all of the debating turn to angry words and hate
Sometimes we should just agree to disagree

And I believe that Jesus
Looks down here and sees us

And if you asked him he would say

I’m a man of my convictions
Call me wrong, call me right
But I bring my better angels to every fight
You may not like where I’m going
But you sure know where I stand
Hate me if you want to, love me if you can

I’m a man of my convictions
Call me wrong, call me right
But I bring my better angels to every fight

You may not like where I’m going
But you sure know where I stand
Hate me if you want to, love me if you can


I could go on and on with my reasons why Big D is so amazing to me. He stands up for what is right. He is a rebel. Not in a without a cause kind of way, but in a good and loving way.
He teaches a rebel like me (without a cause) to have the strength to stand up for what is right, even if the world says it’s wrong.

We are two rebels passing in the night (Now I am just being funny)

He will forever be my love and hero.




No comments: