Monday, July 21, 2008

Heliping Children Give



Since my talk with Lil D about giving more to people in need and our community I started checking around the internet to see if I could find some volunteer work or charities that younger kids can get involved with. I found some that sound great. Here is a few of the charities I have found that can be put into action by my children.


Color a Smile

Children color pictures and send them in. Meals on Wheels then delivers them to the people they assist. A fast and easy way to bring a smile to someone and brighten their day.

Snazzy Hats

Make hats for chemotherapy patients. This site gives you details on how to go about doing this, and places you can send your hats off to.

Make A Child Smile

Children are able to send cards, drawings, and little gifts to very ill children. Children who really need something to look forward to.

Operation Goody Bag

Children can decorate brown paper bags, fill them with the supplies suggested, and send them to Operation Goody Bag. The Goody Bags will then be delivered to the military first responders, as well as fire rescue and any other people who risk their lives to respond first when we need them.

Cheerful Givers

Make Goody Bags for a child’s birthday. I think it would be good idea to have my children do this while we are planning for their own birthday. That way they are giving at the same time they are receiving.

These are a few of the charities I have found that are suitable for children of all ages, from very young to adult. The site that I got these from also has organizations for older kids and teens and how they can become involved.

You can view the list for more ideas at Go City Kids

If you have any ideas on how to get kids involved in their community or with charity please let me know.



Be a little pencil in the hand of God
who is sending a love letter to the word.
-Mother Theresa

No comments: