Wednesday, September 3, 2008

The Authentic Catholic Women by Genevieve Kineke (Book Review)



I received a recommendation by A Catholic Mom Climbing the Pillars. She recommended the book, The Authentic Catholic Woman by Genevieve Kineke.

The book was excellent. It is a thin book only 150 pages including the epilogue. But it took me a while to read it because each page is packed with thoughtful information.

Genevieve explains how women reflect the Church. She explains how women ‘mirror the Sacraments” in their daily lives. A few examples she uses are how doing the sometimes mundane cleaning of the home can mirror Baptism, “Disorder like sin weighs us down”.

I am not fond of cleaning but this book has indeed helped me to see this chore in a new light. I think back to this book and remember the examples of Mother Theresa cleaning the leapers, or Veronica who gently cleaned our Lords face.

Another part of the book that hit home with me was the example of cooking and feeding your family being connected with the Eucharist. I am not very fond of cooking, baking is more my thing. I do cook every day three times a day and it can get a little boring. It is especially nerve wracking when I do put in the effort and love to cook for my family and sometimes my efforts are not appreciated.

Genevieve writes about this very thing and suggests instead of getting upset or bothered remember how much love our Lord puts into the Eucharist to feed his children and how many times he has been unappreciated with this meal he offers us. Still he does it because his love is so deep and unconditional.

There is so much more in this book than I had anticipated, so much to think about and absorb. Here is a quote from the book, “…”Yet in heavenly procession, love proceeds from the Father, through the Holy Spirit, to woman, who in turn distributed it to all mankind.”

One of the reasons given that it may be difficult for women to have the authentic love and femininity given to her from God, is because of fear.

This is where trusting in God comes in, and also looking at Mary are Holy Mother as a role model. She had everything to fear just as modern women do, even more so than we do, but her trust and surrender brought her through.

I could go on and on with this review quoting all the passages that I found profound and that made a little light bulb in my head go on. But I will leave the rest to those who would like to read the book.

I recommend this book to all women, no matter what your vocation may be. It speaks to the heart and the spirit. I am grateful it was recommended to me and that I had the opportunity to read it.

Click on the picture above or go here to visit the blog feminine-genius.



2 comments:

Christine said...

I got that book from my friend Jamie. It is good! I agree!

Melissa said...

I have heard good things about that book.