Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Frugal Homemade Christmas Gifts-Apple Butter and Apple Bread



Christmas is right around the corner and for me this time of the year is a challenge when you are trying to be frugal.

I went to a baby shower recently and all the gifts were homemade by the mom-to-be's family. The guests went ga-ga over these homemade gifts. People like homemade gifts from the heart.

I was thinking homemade would be the way to go this holiday season. I need to watch my pennies and at the same time give a little something to my friends and family.

Everyone likes to eat, and I thought a jar of homemade apple butter and apple bread or muffins would be perfect.

I can start right now and by the time Christmas rolls around all my gifts will be ready to go.
Another plus is apples are in season right now and VERY cheap at the fruit markets and orchards.

Homemade apple butter does not have to be hard, go HERE to read how making apple butter in the crock pot is super easy.

If you don't know how to can you can go HERE to get instructions and tips on canning.

Now for the apple bread or muffins. I made THIS RECIPE and it was delicious!

Canned apple butter will last a long time and when you bake your bread you can put it in the freezer.

When the gift giving season comes around, thaw the bread, grab your jars of apple butter, and you're ready to put a smile on someones face for Christmas!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love crockpot apple butter, I haven't made any yet this year! I always do homemade gifts, I can a lot from my garden so I usually include some of that, plus I make a cookies and candies and do treat boxes, too.