Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Cloth Diapering : An Amateur's Experience


I have been cloth diapering for a few months now and I really wish I would have started cloth diapering with my first child rather than my last.

I was nervous to try cloth diapering because I thought it would be messy. I have found that it's no messier than dealing with any other type of diaper changing.

There are so many options out there for diapers, so many reviews, so much information it can get overwhelming. I am not a pro, I still consider myself a newbie at cloth diapering but I wanted to write this post for anyone considering it. It can be done, even if you have no clue what you are doing.

Here are my reasons for cloth diapering:
I was tired of buying diapers and spending all that money!
I did not like stinky disposables in my garbage. (I had two in diapers at the time I switched)
The enviorment

There is a lot of options to choose from when you use cloth diapers, here is a list of what I use and what is working for us.

You will need about 24 diapers. This amount keeps me from doing laundry every day. :)
I use bumGenius 3.0 and 4.0 These were recommended by friends and I love them.

I purchased mine through the sites Cotton Babies and Nell's Natural Baby. Cotton babies has diapers on clearance a lot, so always check. Find them on Facebook HERE and you will be notified when certain items are on clearance and you can post questions and you will get answers and info. Nell's Natural Baby is a great site too. They have awesome costumer service, and they have a three month lay-a-way plan if you can't get your diaper stash all at once.

I also use the Workhorse fitted diapers from Green Mountain Diapers, I love theses. You can find Green Mountain Diapers on Facebook HERE. These diapers need a diaper cover and there are many to choose from. I use the Econobum diaper cover, mainly because Cotton Babies had them on clearance for $4.95. They are cute, durable, and the price is good! I only need about 3-4 covers because they only need to be rinsed off after using them. (Unless they are very soiled)

I personally need a diaper sprayer that connects to the toilet. I received a bunch of cloth diapering items on ebay cheap, a diaper sprayer was included.

A diaper pail to put the dirty diapers. (I received a diaper pail in the ebay lot as well) a friend of mine uses a plastic tote container, another uses a plastic garbage can.

A diaper pail liner. I use a Planet Wise Pail Liner. It would be a good idea to get two, but I get by with one.

I also want to get a hanging wet bag for my bathroom.

A smaller wet bag for a diaper bag. (another item in the ebay lot)

I received cloth wipes in the ebay lot. I didn't think I would use them, but I realized it was easy to just use the cloth wipes and put them along with the diaper in the pail. I still use disposable wipes too.

Cloth Diaper detergent. I use Bumgenius detergent. All the sites I mentioned above have cloth diaper detergent for sale.

Solution for cloth wipes. You can by solution or make your own. There are a lot of recipes on the web for making cloth wipe solution. I put a little bit of baby soap in a squirt bottle and then fill it with water. I squirt the cloth wipe and then it's ready to clean.

You can get all kinds of doublers and stay dry inserts. I have not bought any of these because if I use two inserts in one bumGenius diaper my baby stays dry all night. Also I cut up a fleece blanket and lay that in the diaper. Fleece keeps wetness off baby and is a good barrier for when I need to use rash cream. (You can not use rash cream on bumGenius diapers.)

There are cheaper ways of cloth diapering then what I use, but this works for us so I'm sticking to it.

If anyone is thinking about cloth diapering, go a head and try it. It really isn't hard. My 12 year old daughter changes her baby brother all the time. Now my daughter will say she feels bad putting her baby brother in disposable diapers because they are not soft and nice like a cloth
diaper.

I think she will be a future cloth diaper user. By the time she has kids she will be a cloth diaper pro!



No comments: