Thursday, February 5, 2009

Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)

I believe I have posted before about our experience with RSV or Respiratory Syncytial Virus. Our youngest, Oney, developed RSV when he was less than a month old. He was hospitalized for a week and was in critical condition. Thanks to Children’s Hospital he recovered.

Our experience with Oney was the first time I had ever paid attention to RSV; I had not known any children who had contracted this.

I am hearing of more children getting RSV. My niece has it right now; she is on breathing treatments but is still wheezing. She is 7mo old so hopefully a hospital visit won’t be necessary. I just talked to a friend who’s youngest daughter has RSV, she is two and now this friend has just informed me that her 6mo old niece has just developed pneumonia from it, very scary stuff.

The season for RSV is from November to April and can differ from region to region. I am so scared of this new baby getting RSV and I am going to be very careful.

The new baby will only be 4mo old at Christmas time and my family does a lot of traveling to see different family members. I don’t think the new baby will be traveling next Christmas. This is when Oney contracted RSV. Big D and I will have to split up while one of us stays home with the baby and the other takes the older kids to do the Christmas rounds.

I am going to be a stickler for sanitation (something that annoyed me before) No sick people allowed around baby, not even if they have a sniffle, lots of hand sanitizer, and spray for doorknobs and such.

I have never been this type of person with the other kids, but what we went through with Oney and hearing about all these other cases really scares me. I may be going over board and all our efforts may not stop the new baby from getting sick but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Please keep these sick little ones in your prayers.

No comments: